Diversity under one roof

When Bob and I were adopting, we were open to adopting children of any race.  We wanted to be sure that the child we were matched with would feel comfortable with white parents, but beyond that, we were open.  Enter Isaiah and Ciera.
These two little people, created perfectly in God's image (although I often need a reminder of this), are beautiful in many ways.  They are thoughtful, comfort each other, and funny.  They also happen to be Hispanic.
The children love to talk about how they are Mexican, and when Ciera gets this lovely dark tan at the pool in the summer and people compliment her, she basks in the compliment and often responds "It's because I am Mexican.".  This pride, this acceptance of herself, this love for her ethnicity brings me joy.  She celebrates her heritage.
We do the best we can to support the children and find ways to explore their background.  And I am sure it is no surprise to anyone who knows me that I am more than happy to take the kids for Mexican food.  Ciera's not a huge fan (of course not, she's the selective eater), but Isaiah and I are partners in crime.  When it's just he and I, we love to head to a Mexican restaurant and partake.  It's our special date.
I knew, in my mind, that adopting children of another ethnicity would have challenges.  However, to be candid, it's not been that much of a topic in our life beyond celebrating it, and letting the kids know that we love them the way they are.  They know I am Irish and happy to eat my potato soup with me.  So for now, it's pretty simple.
I've been made so ill by some of the comments and even words in my community about various ethnicities.  I was raised by parents who celebrated differences of all kinds and embraced my learning about families with different traditions.  I went to many Seders to learn about Passover---and then headed to Easter Mass.  My parents had friends 20 years older than they, and much younger.  My parents group of friends included many religions, backgrounds and sexual orientations.  It was awesome and I knew everyone was welcome and I had an opportunity to learn from all of them.  At the end of the day, they all had so much in common and celebrated differences.  The end.
However, politics of late has brought to my attention the lack of education and fear that many Americans appear to have.  It's been alarming to hear comments about a wall separating us from Mexico, horrible words about the Hispanic population, and general nasty side comments.  It's opened my eyes that most of the world is not like my house or the one I grew up in.  There is so much fear that often translates to hate and disinterest of learning that I am scared for the world my children are growing up in. 
Isaiah and Ciera attend a school that we adore-it's as diverse as the world truly is and we couldn't be happier about it.  Watching the kids sit at their lunch table beside children of all backgrounds with different stories is fantastic.  I'd like to live in a world where we enjoy each other like my kids do at the lunch table.  We chat, we learn about our families, favorite things to do, and accept each other for just who we are and keep hanging out, eating our sandwich.  It actually can be that simple.  Knowing people and celebrating differences can be simple.  For those who are so scared of differences, take a look at my family.  It can be as simple as different people, living under one roof, and supporting each other.  Don't over think it.  We all lose when we build walls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Mayhem

Being White

Pass me a Corona