Vacation on the Breeze

About four years ago, the four of us went on a cruise.  It was a restful and fun vacation.  It was the first big vacation we took after we adopted the kids so it was like I had found heaven in that someone else would make them a sandwich. So this year we decided to repeat the experience.
My mom joined us this year-and I hope future years that the list will grow because the more the merrier--with about 5000 people on board, it's great when you know a few, right?
I literally had a countdown going and couldn't wait.  We drove to Florida on Friday, stayed at our fave port hotel and then got aboard the ship on Saturday.
It's always fun to go someplace you have been with someone who's not been-and see it through their eyes.  It was that way with my mom--she was enamored and found the experience to be exciting and fun.  We were on the ship for about 10 minutes and Bob found me a rum punch.  Bless that man and our partnership.
It was really great week, full of rest-and adventure.  We loved spending time having meals together, doing the ropes course, playing mini golf and Bob and I loved having the chance to go to spin classes together.
One of the coolest parts about a cruise is that there are activities geared to all of us that we can enjoy together--so it doesn't feel like I am sacrificing my fun for that of the kids---I am really happy to do the ropes course, snorkel and watch a show, and so are they.  I loved returning to Roatan-an island I went to years ago and never forgot.  They loved it too-and it was my most special part of the trip.
It was an interesting year on vacation, because we were able to give the kids more freedom to hang out on the ship as long as they checked in every few hours.  It was a shift-and we only had to pull Ciera from watching a dance party on deck one time.  Reasonable success.  It also afforded Bob and me to take a late night walk on the deck or hit the piano bar (which is one of our favorite late night spots). 
Part of what was especially fun this year was that the cruise director had energy to no end.  He literally got off the DJ stage and did the floss with Isaiah.  He answered Ciera's questions about living aboard ship-and he had a room sing "Baby Shark" to Bob, who was wearing a "Daddy Shark" tshirt--his gift for Father's day aboard the boat.  Needless to say, everyone felt pretty special.
We did great excursions and chilled on the ship.  I read 2 books.  I ate dessert (yes, even me-back to clean eating for real now).   I chatted with Mom and had late night cocktails with Bob-what we loved PCI---pre Ciera and Isaiah.
As often happens these days, Ciera was in a bit of a mood on and off the first few days.  Being the overly verbal mother I am, it's all I can do not to scream "Do you know how long we saved to do this and you have a crummy attitude?".  CAN'T EVEN. Bob told me those words were off limits.  Clearly not his first day with me.  But at my core that is how I felt.  I was so irritated.
Finally I cornered Ciera on our balcony one morning while she was munching on her breakfast and let her know I was done with it.  I didn't say it that well, but you get where I am going.  She was reasonably receptive and we were able to move on.   Thank you Jesus. 
I'm also learning new things about Isaiah.  The kid would play foozball all day.  Taking a second shower a day is the worst tragedy known to him.  Deodorant is best if optional (um no) and that boy can eat.
Bob and I talk about how crazy the world is now-and how much smaller.  He and I were both blessed with parents who loved to show us the world, but neither of us saw other countries until we were adults.  Our kids have seen other countries before they turned ten.  That's pretty wild and as much as I seek to ensure they have their eyes wide open, it's hard to be clear that this is not how I grew up nor most people even today experience life. 
I am fierce about exposing them though.  I want them to grow up to have no fears about studying or living abroad if that is what they want to do.  I want navigating other countries to feel reasonable-so that's part of why when we were in Mexico, we grabbed a cab and went to a local beach where no one really spoke much English.  That's a lot more real life.
I also hope that the kids remember things.  Like the adjoining room we had with my mom and getting into bed with her in the morning to read.  And that I played mini golf-which I loathe -and we caved and they had ice cream for breakfast.  Ciera comments often that Bob and I are 'disgusting' because we are often holding hands or kissing.  But I hope she remembers later on that her parents--7 years married and 10 years together-still put each other first and actually authentically love each other.  Even if it is disgusting.
Most of all, I hope they remember the fun.  Yes, I am sure I yelled in the terminal while we were going through customs.  I am sure I forgot to pack someone's toothbrush.  I am certain I was tense right before I made everyone take what looks like that perfect Facebook picture.  But I hope they remember the fun because more than any other reason, that's why I want to provide for them.  Because we all need some fun.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Mayhem

Being White

Pass me a Corona