Y Reprieve

My kids have been in camp at the YMCA this week. It's been awesome for a lot of reasons.  First off, the Y just gets how to make camp operational and simple for parents.  LOVE IT.  I even got an email about the pick up traffic flow changing-this director is a woman after my own heart.  Isaiah is doing a flag football camp.  He loves it.  Learning a ton, but to his surprise, one does not become a pro football player in minutes.  The first day included drills for agility, balance and speed as well as scrimages.  Isaiah shared some pretty serious surprise that to play football well, one must PRACTICE.  In fact, on day 2, Isaiah was pretty certain that since he'd been part of so much practice on Monday, surely Tuesday would be dedicated to games only.  Today he is at the Panthers practice field, and I am sure that he's expecting to be drafted.  It's amazing to me to witness the confidence that can be found in this little person.
Ciera is basking in the glow of "Pretty in Pink" camp-which is like feeding fire to the beast.  A girls only experience focused on self esteem, role models, and conflict resolution has found a way to integrate facials, manicures, and pedicures.  By choice, Ciera has worn pink clothing each day this week, in an effort to demonstrate her solid enthusiasm.  You can imagine the hues that have been paired together.  I have reserved any comments....with the exception of the Pajama Day initial choice-that was so short I was sure she'd be tossed out of camp and be labeled as a 'non role model'.
Camp has been great for me as well because I've had a quiet week where I've checked off a bunch of items that have been on my to do list....the paint on the front of the new car that resembles the garage -that might be from where I backed up too quickly and perhaps had a little accident....-gone! Ben's teeth cleaning-scheduled!  Pantry reorganized to the nines!
I've been really enjoying time to dedicate to the gym and yoga which has been really calming and helped me even out a bit.  Bob's commented he's never eaten so well.......I love cooking so this time has provided me a chance to make some of my favorite dishes, pasta with mozzarella, chicken curry and send him to work with lunches that resemble a feast well beyond the typical turkey sandwich.  So, finding my way a little bit.  I love cooking shows and it's a good thing because with the 500 channels we have-there is NOTHING on TV of any value.  It's unbelievable.  On a whim, I tuned in to my college soap opera (Days of Our Lives) only to learn that the main characters of my youth are now the 'wise adults' and the main characters could be at the Y with my kids.  UGH.
But for this Friday afternoon, I am writing, enjoying my homemade banana bread, and watching some Barefoot Contessa.  And it's all good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Mayhem

Being White

Pass me a Corona