Social Security

Once I received the children's adoption decrees in late June, my next step was to gain updated Social Security cards for both children that would now reflect their new last name.  As you can imagine, it's important for us on many levels to have all legal documents correctly updated.  It's critical because without cards that are updated to reflect our family name, we would not be able to claim the children as dependents on our taxes....and all the implications therein.
So, at this point, all I had were adoption decrees, with a seal, that said the children were ours and they had a new last name.  However, I had been advised by several experts that Social Security offices vary on their willingness to provide new SS cards with only decrees, as most prefer birth certificates.  To make things more complicated,  I stilll don't have new birth certificates from the state of NC with the kids new names on them-and I won't for months.  Vital Records takes months upon months to process these....so we can't wait for those.
I thought hard about how I was going to try to find the right person-in person-at Social Security to request that the SS cards be updated for the kids...I talked this over with Bob, a my trusted friend Farrah....and set out, decrees, and all other random paperwork in hand.
Rather than going to central Charlotte to do this, I found a rural office about 30 minutes from my home and went around 3pm, thinking that perhaps the employees would be happy to tie up my issue quickly.  My thought was that perhaps it would be less busy and I might encounter a person who had more time to hear my plea and help me.
Upon walking in, I found myself already having issues with the check in system.  It was almost as if my nerves were demonstrating themselves via my ability to use a touch screen.  A kind security guard took pity on me, signed me in, and I found a seat.  I pulled out my Kindle, ready for a long wait on a late afternoon.
Twenty minutes later, I was at a desk.  The clerk was friendly, interested in my family story, and took my documents.  She had to call over a supervisor, but both seemed undaunted by my request.  I started to breathe normally.
The clerk advised she had to ask me a series of questions from the government in order to process the documents....no problem, I responded, thinking I have been asked the most invasive questions during this process....nothing surprises me.  However, I was proven wrong.
The clerk asked me "Do the children know they are adopted?".  I almost laughed out loud.  The government cares about this?  Does this end up in a data pool somewhere?  I responded that had I not explained to a 6 and 7 year old who I am and why they are living with me, the situation would have been very odd, wouldn't it?  Of course they know I am adopting them.  Holy Hannah....I about died.
When the clerk realized my disbelief and the rationale, she chuckled along with me and began processing documents.
When she handed me the new SS cards reflecting the right name and numbers, I could have kissed her and run away like I had robbed a bank.  I couldn't get out of there fast enough, thanking her and appreciating her well wishes, and quickly waving thanks again to the security guard.
I got in my car and held the cards.  So there, system.  I figured you out.  These kids are mine....and I have yet another document to prove it.


Comments

  1. This is so great and I'm so glad it went smoothly for you! I actually cringed when I saw the title of your blog post because I was sure it was going to be this awful social security experience, as it was for us when I tried to get a SS number for Arthur. The highlight was when they asked for his original birth certificate and then when I produced it said, "But it's in Chinese...." Needless to say, it took us TWO trips to the office and he had to be present for both of them = worst week ever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory Mayhem

Being White

Pass me a Corona